Sunday, May 15, 2011

Procrastination

So...I've been meaning to post something here for some time, get a productive blog going again. But what to post? What about that demon that's been haunting me lately: Procrastination. If he had a form, he'd be a fat, lazy, slovenly man with belly-button lint caking his navel and clothes that haven't been washed in at least a week. I once wrote a meta prose poem about him:
Procrastination melts your time into a river of laziness and lassitude. It’s a sleep without dreams or memory. One minute you’re here, the next, hours later, you’re still…here. You can trace time, tell it, “Yes, I was doing something.” Time will shake its head and say, “Nothing meaningful.” “Nothing meaningful,” you echo, raising your metaphorical fists into the metaphorical air, screaming, “Damn you, Procrastination.” Then you calm, briefly, to reflect, to stop feeling bad for yourself. And you realize, and by you I mean me, you realize in these late hours, “I wrote this poem because of Procrastination.” And so you must bow, bow deeply to all the gods of despair.

I guess he does have some uses. He sort of prompted me to write this blog entry in the first place. And he does make you do interesting things. Earlier today I wrote up a grammar and vocabulary for a language instead of working on the novel I really should be working on. Still, I prefer the attractive woman feeding me ideas (how I picture my Muse) to the fat man slowing me down. Of course, maybe She's not the type of Muse I need:

1 comment:

  1. Wrote a song about this once.

    How I Put Off Writing
    by Eric J. Blommel


    Well there’s the…

    sheets on the bed
    and the clothes on the floor
    the fire in the oven
    and the package by the door
    the tax preparation
    and my mother’s comin’ o’er

    and that’s how I put off my writing…

    Well there’s the…

    book to be read
    and the movie to be watched
    dinner to be cooked
    and the drink to be scotched
    cat to be brushed
    and the bedpost to be notched

    and that’s how I put of my writing…

    Then there’s the …

    business to be run
    and the bills to be paid
    takin’ out the trash
    ‘cause my wife’s not the maid
    (there’s stuff you gotta do
    if you hope to get laid)

    and that’s how I put off my writing…

    Don’t forget the…

    Car to be washed
    the groc’ries to be bought
    American Idol, but
    I don’t watch that a lot
    gotta de-lint the dryer
    so it don’t run too hot
    gotta do something else
    but what, I forgot…

    and that’s how I put off my writing…

    … an’ I’m laaaazzzzyyyy tooooooo.

    ReplyDelete