Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Taos Toolbox--Day 3

So. I'm at Taos Toolbox, the master class for writer's run by authors Walter Jon Williams and Nancy Kress. Originally I'd thought about blogging about this every day, but the wifi connection is fairly sketchy. Plus, with three manuscripts to critique per day, a new piece of fiction to write before next week, and whatever other assignments Walter or Nancy decide to throw my way, blogging has moved to the back-burner. Not that I'm complaining; I need to get a lot more disciplined in my writing habits anyway. Hopefully this workshop will help.

Anyway, to tell a little about the workshop: Walter and Nancy are very friendly and gracious, especially since I have a broken ankle. Luckily, because I arrived fairly early, I had a choice of living arrangements and I think I chose the best one to accomodate Paris (the name I gave my broken ankle). As far a Walter and Nancy's writing styles, they often approach their craft very differently. It's good to get a different perspective from each. As far as the other students, they range from professionally published authors and editors to people whose fiction could use a little more work. On a good day I consider myself somewhere in the middle. On a bad day...well, let's just say that writers don't always have the best self esteem. As far as the Taos Ski Valley itself, it is beautiful. And though the rest of New Mexico may be in a drought, it's rained here every day I'd been here.

I'm glad I was able to make it; I just wish it was sans Paris. And everyone has been helpful. Perhaps I'll blog again during Taos, but that depends on the workload and the wifi.

2 comments:

  1. Sean, I hope you have a fantastic time and learn a lot. Nancy and Walter are amazing. I hope the toolboxers you meet are as excellent as the ones from my class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Jason! We really did have a phenomenal class.

    And hi Sean from a TT 2010 alum! The first week is insanely busy. Hope you're enjoying every moment of it though. Wish I could go back!

    ReplyDelete